Anyhow – Mom was up for the day and wanted to go to Jomar and get herself some fabric, and of course, I came along – theoretically just looking for some lining for my coat and the red tulle for the polka-dot dress. I ended up with both of those, as well as some cotton flannel, a silky something in a purplish-gray, an interesting stretch knit, gray polar fleece and 6 yards of dollar a yard woven something for muslins. Mom, ended up with a loosely woven rust colored something and a striped brown sheer. Yeah.... I know... but I do love it so...
Now, having added the sleeves to the interlining, and ironed all the fabric for the lining proper, I needed a break from my coat AND new pajama pants – cue the lovely new flannel. I took apart an old pair that I had worn until it tore to shreds (I am hard on my clothes) and used it as a pattern.
As you can see, its only the one piece, which made lining up the plaid rather easy. There wasn't a chance that the inseam would line up, but I used a trick from Selfish (forever ago, couldn't find the exact post), and cut one side and then flipped it over, matched it exactly, and ended up with perfect alignment.
|look very closely|
|loving the new pants|
I’m rather proud of the waistband, as this was a new technique for me – I’d noticed that the elastic was sewn into the waistband seam, to prevent rolling and whatnot, and while I didn’t get the hem and the elastic all in one seam, as had been done in the original, I did sew it down once it was in the casing. Anyhow, I am pleased as punch and have been dancing about it them since I finished. All told, they took around about two hours – a very easy project and a much needed finished garment – both as a hole in my wardrobe and as the satisfaction I get from making something I like. I need the occasional little project to keep my morale up for the long slogs of the big ones.
|spiffy sewn down elastic|