Wednesday, February 8, 2012

1st Blogoversary!

Today makes one year since I started this blog - my goal at the time was to participate rather than lurk in the online sewing community, and I have to say I'm very happy with the result.   Horray and Huzzah for the interwebs and all the people that wander around this part of them!  Giant-internet-based-awkward-because-I-don't-actually-know-who-most-of-you-are group hug!!!!     Now, to satisfy my curiosity, if you are reading this, would you mind saying 'hello' in the comments section?  (or tell me your favorite joke, whatever works.  I'd take a duck impression.)  According to the stats page, there are a fair few of you, but I know for a fact that some are spam bots, so I thought I'd try to get a sense of whats really going on...

Anyhow, this has been a big year for me - I've started finishing seams, I can flat-fell, make french seams, do hong kong finishes, shirr, handle knits and make button holes.   My goal for the coming year is to take it up a notch and conquer the lined jacket, make a bra, a bathing suit, a pair of shoes (I've been doing research!) and get a pair of jeans to fit properly.   Think happy thoughts, because I'm quaking in my stylish yet affordable boots.

And on to a proper sewing update:

I finally finished all the straight stitching - despite trying to follow the serged seams, I ended up taking off a bit more material (we're talking a millimeter or two per seam) but the dress is noticeably tighter, if that's possible.  However, its a reasonably stretchy knit, so I can still get it on, breathe and move.... but I can never gain weight and it can never shrink.  ever.       Anyhow - the neckline is bound, and the arm holes are most of the way there, I ended up going with self fabric as I couldn't find a match for the weight of the original material in black.   (The internet you say?  I am not that patient, nor do I particularly want to spend more.  This is Jomar fabric, so right now the dress is around the $6 mark, and spending far more than that for trim seems a bit silly.)

4 comments:

  1. Happy Blogiversary to you!

    I think the self-binding is a good idea---ordering online is absolutely NOT the best way to match a fabric weight. And I guess with that many seams it wouldn't be hard for 1 or 2 mm to add up to 2 or 4 cm around the width of the whole dress... glad it still fits, at least for now!

    It sounds like you've got a packed and ambitious year ahead of you---good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogiversary!! And here's to a great year of learning more fabulous things (like making your own shoes - awesome)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogiversary! I don't know any good jokes I'm afraid...and my duck impression just doesn't come across very well in a comment box... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Bloggiversary Allison! I cheated as I just left a joke on Mela's blog, so stole it back for you too ....

    A guy went into a shop and said ” I’d like to buy a fly please”, and the shopkeeper looked at him kind of strange and said “what?”. The guy said back, “I’d like to buy a fly “. The shopkeeper looked at him really oddly & said “I’m sorry, we don’t sell flies”. And the guy said “Well, you’ve got one in your window” Ba boom!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from people :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...