Tuesday, June 24, 2014

V8988 - finished!

he'll fight you for it.
Not only is the suit done - but it has had its first adventure.   Greg wore it to an outdoor wedding in Virginia (aka - HOT - although it was only in the low 80s, so it really wan't bad for that neck of the woods)  and was cool and comfy and generally considered to be tremendously stylish.   So, I'm counting this as a major win.


 As with the pants, the directions were a bit of a mess, and my original attempt to follow along for the front pockets was such a disaster, they had to be remade from scratch.   fortunetly, we'd gotten a couple of extra yards, as I was a little intimidated by the project and wanted an insurance policy.


There are a few things I'll change for next time....  The back flap ended up being on a diagonal rather than straight, as I kept taking it in to fit correctly.  Also, the jacket cuffs don't quite lay as flat.  (Greg has also requested that there be an inner breast pocket on the left, as well as the right sides, bringing the total to *10* pockets for the suit.)  (seriously, how many pockets does one man use?   I've polled the ones I know, and none has ever used more than five at once.)   However, other than that (and the directions requiring serious thought to interpret) I'm really liking this pattern.



Once I simplify the waistband pattern, we're going to make a few more pairs of pants in more everyday fabrics.    One of them may end up as his first real sewing project, as the process has gotten him hooked on clothing that fits properly.  He is particularly excited about a shirt with long enough arms that doesn't have a baggy body, and is starting to really take note of the materials in the clothing he already owns.   Cotton/linen blends seems to be the reigning favorite.


 As a suit pattern, I think this is a good way to dip one's toe in the water.   It only has a facing, rather than a full lining, which means skipping the umpteen layers interfacing and pad stitching, etc...    The sleeves are still lined, and have to be put on by hand - but it's both necessary and not really that tricky.


If you are interested in the suit, and would like to see more detail on the pants, check out this link.





2 comments:

  1. This is seriously impressive!! The fit is spectacular, and all of the details (welts, flaps, etc) are perfect. You put so much work into this, and it really shows! You should be so proud of yourself, and I hope he realizes how lucky he is to have such a fabulous suit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you - this was one of the most complicated things I've ever made. ;) and yes, I think he knows. He saw how much work went into it and was telling everyone at the wedding I'd made it for him.

      Delete

I love to hear from people :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...